Unexpected Pet Poisons


In this day and age, new methods to animal health are constantly being made. Old or else inadequate elements in pet diets, for example animal byproducts and artificial flavorings are being substituted with more human-grade ingredients. Even though it’s important to incorporate these human-grade ingredients into your pet’s diet, it’s remember this that many things, many human things, can be incredibly toxic for animals to possess.

Animals cannot separate what's and what's not poisonous by simply considering our kitchen cabinets or fridges. So, it’s extremely important that, his or her guardians, we educate ourselves around the household items and foods that can be toxic on their behalf.

Please take a moment to read up on a few items, commonly present in your home, that may be poisonous for your pets.

1: Lemons & Limes

Lemons and Limes are among the lesser known foods that can be incredibly toxic for dogs and cats to ingest.

Like many citrus fruits, these two contain psoralen compounds and aromatic oils that are extremely toxic to animal systems

Symptoms upon ingestion can include the following: Vomiting, diarrhea, dermatitis, bodily depression.

2: Onions

Onions are a very versatile ingredient. We, humans, use it in many everything we cook, as it gives our dishes flavor and depth. However, while we can consume onions without any repercussions, this item is incredibly toxic for animals and can cause an array of complications in their bodies.

You see, onions contain compounds called disulfides and thiosulphates, which could cause conditions for example anemia, hemolytic anemia, and methemoglobinemia – all manifestations of damage to red blood cells.

Dr. Tina Swan, who specializes in animal emergency care, recalls diagnosing a patient with food toxicity symptoms. “I were built with a young dog with signs of partial paralysis and weakness of his back legs,” she says. “The clue to the problem was that the owner had fed your dog some macadamia-crusted salmon with sauteed onions the night before. It can be difficult to determine which leads to a toxic reaction in pets, particularly if they’ve eaten table scraps.”

Symptoms upon ingestion can include the following: Lethargy, pale gums, increased heart rate, increased respiratory rate, weakness, collapse, paralysis.

3: Alcohol

Alcohol. We like it, we hate it, we celebrate it, we drink it, we eat it, we cook by using it. There are plenty of stuff that we as humans do with alcohol; it’s simple to forget precisely how dangerous and toxic it can be for the four-legged friends.

Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol are incredibly toxic to animals and can even lead to death. The list of symptoms are truly endless and cannot be used lightly. On no account when your pet be given alcohol. Should you spill your beer on the floor, fix it up and do not allow your pet to simply lick it up.

Symptoms upon ingestion can include the next: Vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, nervous system depression, breathlessness, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, and coma.

4: Nuts, Coffee, Chocolate

For some people, this is actually the trifecta of foods. The rich and indulgent flavors that coffee, chocolate, and nuts can offer make sure they are all primary foods in one’s household. However, all of them contain substances called methylxanthines, which could wreak havoc on a pet’s organs and circulatory system if ingested.

Note that darker chocolate, when compared with milk chocolate, is even more dangerous when ingested due to the high intensity of cacao. Milk chocolate, although still dangerous, is diluted down with milk and sugar, making it less intense for an animal’s body.

Symptoms upon ingestion may include the next: Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased heartbeat, stroke, seizures, tremors, and even death.

5: Ibuprofen

Ibuprofen is really a widely used drug, meant to treat inflammation and pain. But while it is relatively safe for humans to take and employ for medicinal purposes, this is NOT a medicine that's safe for animals to ingest – unless properly instructed and prescribed by a veterinarian.

As somebody who has worked in a variety of animal hospitals, I am unable to stress this toxin enough. Many pet parents tend to dose out this medication when their pets experience arthritis, pain, or fever, not realizing precisely how dangerous it is – and these animals, who're already hurting from some type of pain their parents tried to treat in your own home, are brought into the hospital with their body’s literally failing on them.

You see, while ibuprofen blocks enzymes that cause inflammation, additionally they block enzymes which are accustomed to control normal gastrointestinal and kidney functions. And rather than being properly digested through the body, within an animal’s case, this drug is recycled over and over again through the liver, leading to potentially poisoning effects.

Symptoms upon ingestion may include the following: Vomiting, incoordination, discoloration, seizures, coma, stupor or unconsciousness.

6: Xylitol

Xylitol is among the more sneaky toxins that you, as pet parents, must consider. It’s hidden in gum, candy, baked goods, toothpaste, and even things like peanut butter. While it’s perfectly safe for humans to ingest, this artificial sweetener is extremely toxic for animals to eat.

You see, like many sugars, Xylitol increases insulin levels when ingested. However, in an animal’s case, the rise of insulin can easily and easily result in liver failure or long-term liver damage.

Symptoms upon ingestion can include the following: Vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures, organ failure.

7: Essential Oils

In a world where the interest in aromatherapy and essential oils are rising, it’s important to remember that there are certain oils that induce significant damage to your pet’s organs and circulatory system if ingested, inhaled, or topically applied.

Some of those include citrus, peppermint, tea tree, ylang ylang, and cinnamon. It doesn't matter how they are used, these oils are especially dangerous to animals and can have effects for example gastrointestinal upset, nervous system depression, seizures, and even organ failure.

Inhalation of oils can even result in aspiration pneumonia.

Symptoms upon ingestion/exposure may include the next: Vomiting, seizures, lethargy, weakness, diarrhea, tremors,

8: Laundry Sheets / Fabric Softener Sheets

This one may be a surprise to a lot of individuals. Laundry sheets are relatively small, rectangular sheets that you throw to your loads to help eliminate static and keep your clothes smelling fresh. However, as small as they're, they have properties that can be horrible for any pet’s system.

Laundry sheets and kinds of material softeners contain cationic detergents, which can potentially cause drooling, vomiting, oral or esophageal ulcers. What’s worse is that, if ingested, these thin sheets can even cause intestinal blockage.

Symptoms upon ingestion/exposure can include the next: Vomiting, lethargy, drooling, ulcers, weakness, blockage.

If, at any point, you feel your pet may have ingested or been around a potentially toxic or poisonous substance, it is recommended that you speak to your veterinarian immediately or APCC’s hotline at (888) 426 – 4435.